Thursday, March 20, 2014

Alone

Joshua Tree's rocks
I've never really been alone before. Not like this. It's an entirely different feeling to be in the middle of the desert with only my bike and its contents to keep me company. My bike, my lovely bike, what would I do without it? At one point, it felt like this was all I needed, but now, I'm starting to change my mind. If my knees were healthy, that would be completely true, but the truth is, they're not and I have 110 miles of Highway 62 between me and Parker Arizona. 110 miles of busy, shoulder-less highway with no services, no water, and no cover to camp in. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Okay, okay, I'm being a little too melodramatic. After all, I just saw my mother, I have a package with a replacement multi-tool, bike computer, passport and in-soles coming in the mail, the Highway Patrol officers agreed to look out for me when I am on 62, and I have Joshua Tree National Park. This place is truly amazing.

Mama and I drove into the Park on Monday, after staying at a lovely warm showers place in Yucca Valley, and even though I am anxious to get back on the road, I am glad to have the opportunity to spend more time here. It is a desert, harsh, dry, hot and unwelcoming, but breathtakingly beautiful. It was quite a shock to come here after biking through San Bernardino National Forest for two days.

Mama!
On Friday, I arrived in San Bernardino a little after noon, and biked up to the beginning of the National Forest where I found a perfect camping spot by a crystal clear stream. The next day, I biked slowly, stopping every hour or so to stretch. By the end of my nine hour day, I had only covered 30 miles (according to the mile post signs, my bike computer got run over), but I had gained gained 5,443 ft in elevation and my knee was still fairing relatively well. That night, I camped at Onyx Summit, 8,443 ft above sea level, and probably the highest point I will reach on this trip. There was snow on the ground a few feet from my tent!
Flowers in the desert

In the morning, I got on my bike and coasted into Big Bear City where I waited for my mom. She drove out to meet me from Phoenix and we spent a wonderful few days together. The ride from Big Bear to Yucca Valley was more than twice as long as the previous day's trip, but it took half the time. From Big Bear, the road was steep, twisty, and gorgeous. The turns were so sharp, you had to lean into them with your whole body. Ten miles further, 3,000 ft lower and 20 degrees hotter, the road shot us straight into the desert, my new home.

I have a lot to get used to on this section of my trip. Doing an unsupported solo bike tour on a challenging route in unfamiliar territory takes a great deal of preparation, strength and determination. Now that I am truly on my own, I have discovered fear that I hadn't been aware of, and this fear is manifesting itself in insecurity and self doubt. When people ask where I am going, my responding "Vermont" is fast dwindling in assurance, but I remain hopeful. This fear and uncertainty is a doorway into a new level of self awareness, strength and passion if I can embrace it.

Love, peace, and determination,
Sonya
Lichen...I think
Amazing trees

2 comments:

  1. Hey; It's Paul Rudershausen. I know one of your teachers from LUHS quite well. (Mr Whitlock). He put me onto your site. Congrats on executing a marvelous journey. JT NP to AZ was my best day or riding ever. Hope the temperatures and winds hav been kind to you. Have fun, go slow, and use your rear view mirror for safety. -Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul! Not sure if I ever saw this comment originally, but I pulled this up to share with someone who's in Joshua Tree now and just noticed it. Hope you're doing well :-).

    ReplyDelete