Thursday, August 25, 2016

Summer Reflections

When people ask how my summer was, I stammer and inevitably turn my eyes skyward as I search for words to describe an experience that has enriched my life in more ways than I can count, let alone express in a single word. Spectacular, amazing, awesome...these words are but a shadow of the truth, for working as an Assistant Instructor for the Ecological Leadership Program in Kyrgyzstan this summer was not just exciting and enjoyable, but also intensely challenging. From learning Kyrgyz, to writing and formatting student handbooks, to navigating divergent opinions and approaches among instructors, the ELP forced me to stretch to the very edges of my ability and learn quickly. I have grown as a leader, researcher, student and global citizen, and the skills I have developed will be invaluable resources that I can draw upon for the rest of my life.
There are many tasks that I am more comfortable performing having completed the project, such as writing lesson plans, facilitating focus groups, and organizing gear distribution. I received the majority of our funding through academic grants and secured sponsorships from companies that supported the ELP through equipment donations. During the program, I organized and sorted these donations, planned and organized program food, and supervised gear cleaning and turn in. These responsibilities taught me widely applicable skills in gear, food and money management. However, my position taught me much more than logistics.  
Working with Nathan and Patrick to ensure that the students were safe, happy, and engaged throughout the ELP gave me practice working through conflicting views and approaches while balancing competing responsibilities. I received valuable feedback about my lack of situational awareness that has already impacted my approach to leadership and increased my self awareness. Furthermore, working with Kyrgyz students strengthened my cultural competence and anthropological research skills. I was responsible for planning and executing research on gender dynamics; the focus groups, interviews and countless conversations I had with the students and instructors about gender dynamics and Kyrgyz culture radically challenged my worldview and helped me to understand my own cultural context in a way that the social justice trainings I have participated in at UVM never could have.
In short, I return from Kyrgyzstan humbled, inspired and eager to continue to engage in work that challenges my every fibre. Looking back on my grant applications and internship contract, I was surprised to realize we met most of our objectives. In the moment, the project often felt chaotic. Almost half of our students dropped out, and we ran the program on an extremely tight budget. Partnerships with the Ala Archa National Park never developed and longevity of the project in its current form is unlikely. Nevertheless, the students’ presentation during the closing ceremony dispelled any doubt that every dollar, microspike and word of encouragement contributed to the ELP was well utilized. Each of the students came away with many skills, momentous realizations and memories that they will probably have for the rest of their life. The immense gratification of playing some part in supporting their journey is an honor I have yet to find the words to express.
In particular I would like to thank the Office of Undergraduate Research at UVM for granting me the Carl Reidel Summer Research Scholarship, the Rubenstein School for the Kate Svitek Award, SGA's Professional Development Fund, Kroka Expeditions for donating tents and backpacks, Kahtoola for donating microspikes, Nalgene for donating water bottles and eating containers, Black Diamond for donating gloves and headlamps, Diva Cup for donating Diva Cups, the American Alpine Club, Jayne, Nancy, Julie, Suzanne, Gordyn, Carolyn, John, Bill and Nancy, Christopher, Dulce, and many others who contributed to the ELP through monetary donations, and words of encouragement or advice. The project would never have been possible without your support.
Follow this link to read an article published on the American University of Central Asia's website about the ELP! 






1 comment:

  1. Sonya, So much of what you have written here will read well in a resume. I imagine you getting hired for your next job based on this information. Thank you for sharing your experience and continually increasing your self awareness and leadership skills in the world.

    ReplyDelete