Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Equipment Update

We've been snowed in from school today, so I decided it would be a great opportunity to do an inventory of the equipment I have acquired and figure out what I need. I am happy to say my list has shrunk without a penny being spent (well, except for the bathing suit, but I'm working on that one. I've decided I'm going to make a dress and shorts out of it and sell it on Etsy! I'll post a picture when it's done.). I am incredibly lucky to have a neighbor who used to do mountaineering and has lent me a ton of equipment, including a sleeping bag and backpack which are two big items on the list! The Stowe Dump Reuse room has also equipped me with a pair of lightweight pants (made in Italy) that are perfect for Kroka. If you've never been, the reuse room is fantastic and free! Really. And it's saving textiles from needlessly going into the trash.

Anyway, here's the modified list:

 3 Pairs wool socks. You'd think I'd have more, but I could only find three good pairs and we have to have six.
1 Lightweight wool or fleece sweater. Lightweight is super important. I have a ton of sweaters but they're all bulky.
 Swimsuit......well, I can always wear a sports bra and shorts, but it might be good to have a real suit.
 1 Pair comfortable, warm gloves that can fit under big mittens for mountaineering but also work for biking.
 Mountaineering boots. My feet are usually size 8.5 or 9 women's. The recommended model is Scarpa Charmoz.
 1 Pair close toed, durable sandals that will stay securely on feet and can be used in and out of water. Yarn for knitting. I have a little, but one small skein would help.

We're getting down there! It is truly amazing how generous my neighbors have been. I have already saved at least $1000 on equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment