Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Flyin Ryan Scholarship

    Do you ever wonder how you can possibly create so many amazing, unexpected connections in a world with more than seven billion people? It is truly incredible, at least in my opinion.
     I recently received a $500 scholarship from the Flyin Ryan Foundation which is a huge contribution towards my fund raising efforts. I heard about the foundation when I was getting shoes at the Skirack in Burlington! I explained a little of what I was planning to do with the shoes to the guy who was helping me find the right pair, and he referred me to the Flyin Ryan Foundation's website. Within minutes of exploring the website, I was astounded by the simplicity and power of the foundation's founding premises. Perhaps it was not that coincidental that the Skirack guy told me about Flyin Ryan, but I still think it was a bit of a miracle.
    The foundation was created in memory of Ryan Hawks, an inspirational skier who died at the age of 25 from injuries sustained at a Freeskiing World Tour event in Kirkwood, CA in 2011. His family created the foundation to honor his legacy and support young people to embrace life as Ryan did. The Flyin Ryan Foundation awards scholarships based on financial need, ability and passion to pursue adventure and character which reflects Ryan's core principles. A document was found on Ryan's computer entitled "Ryan's Core Principles" and these principles have become a central focus of the foundation, for they are beautiful, inspiring and simple:

Ryan's Core Principles
Live every day, all day
Never stop exploring life
Never lose my adventuresome attitude
Be the best friend I can be
Be the best brother, son, uncle I can
Look out for others
Look out for myself
Look out for our surroundings
Play like I’m thirteen
Be self-sufficient
Don’t be afraid to ask for help
Work hard
Live easy
Live simply

    The financial support from the Flyin Ryan Foundation has been great, but the inspiration and hope that I have experienced from reading about Ryan Hawks and other Flyin Ryan Scholarship recipients has been just as important. It has empowered me in my quest to raise money for Kroka and train for the Burlington City Marathon. When there are too many things to do and it feels like life is crushing me, I have Ryan to strengthen my resolve. His principles are beautifully elegant and they have reminded me about the things I care about most. With the motivation of Ryan's Principles, I am excited to move into this crazy, totally new period of my life and live it to the fullest.

    Please spread the word about the Flyin Ryan Foundation and visit the website!
flyinryanhawks.org

1 comment:

  1. Sonya, You are in the flow. It's only going to get better honey! Love you.

    ReplyDelete