Monday, March 4, 2013

Bathing Suit Dilemma/Opportunity

"Do you think the belt will cause drag?" I asked the owner of the little shop on the boardwalk by Venice Beach, LA where I was trying to find a bathing suit for Kroka.

"Drag?" He looked puzzled.

"You know, like slow me down while I'm swimming." I explained.

"This style will look really cute! Look, you can tighten the belt so it will stay on really good." was all he could come up with.

"I'm not actually too concerned with how it looks," I replied, "I want to get a bathing suit that will be good for swimming."

The expression I received this time was even more confused than the last. Don't care how it looks? What other reason would you buy a bathing suit for? 

You'd think I would have gotten it by this time, that this was not the place to buy a bathing suit for Kroka, but for some reason I wasn't thinking straight that evening. Perhaps it was all the people, or the street performers, or the macho energy of the guys playing basketball, or perhaps I just wanted to have a real bathing suit for the first time in years. Whatever the reason, I made a mistake.

I bought that bathing suit, saying goodbye to $43.59 of my hard earned money only to realize that the suit was not going to work for Kroka. I bought the size small afraid that a medium wouldn't stay on well enough and as there wasn't any changing room in the crowded little shop, I could only awkwardly put it on over my clothes. Upon returning to the hotel we were staying at for our last night in CA, I put the bathing suit on and found, to my dismay, that it was too small and uncomfortable.

I immediately began berating myself, angry that I should have spent money on something so carelessly. It is not often that I buy things, especially for myself, so it was frustrating to have made such a silly mistake. There was no way I'd be able to return it and I'm on a tight budget with Kroka and all. But as I sat there moping and dejected, my mom came up with an idea.

"What if you sell it on Craigslist or something?" she asked, "Or auction it off? You can make a fund raiser out of it!"

And why not? I've never sold anything on Craigslist before, but maybe I could make the money back. Or maybe there's a better option. It really is a cute bathing suit and it would be great for some one a little skinnier and smaller than I. I could even embroider it. I can make this mistake into an opportunity to fund raise! What do you think?

Let me know what your ideas are and we can figure out a way to get this bathing suit to some one who really wants it. I'll send a double pack of cards to whoever comes up with the best idea!








No comments:

Post a Comment